
This past weekend I went to go see District 9. If you haven't heard about it, it's a story that take place almost thirty years ago (early 80's) in S. Africa and aliens have accidentally landed on Earth. Mankind has kept these aliens on Earth spending millions of dollars to detain and conduct tests on them, when in reality they just want to go back to their own planet. It was seriously like a concentration camp for aliens. Basically, this movie shows the true nature of humanity and how evil we, as humans, can truly be. In a time when S. Africa was so impoverished, the government would rather spend money detaining and holding the aliens hostage, conducting experiments, and focuses their attention on the aliens than help their own people. It was quite an eye opening experience. If you haven't seen a preview, here is a link to one of them: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d6PDlMggROA.
Everyone should go see it.
After this movie I got to thinking about the main human character and his actions during the entire movie - being on one side than the other (I can't say much more or it'll ruin the movie). I think this movie really got me thinking about how the human race (or certain people within the human race) thinks we are better than everyone else and we have the right to do what we want to people/things that are different than us. As long as it makes us more powerful, we will do anything to anyone - and we only think of ourselves. Just like the main character. And then those who try to do something right get taken down by those greedy people in power.
The first half of this movie made me sick to my stomach, and I actually cried in some parts. Although the aliens were animated, their emotions and appearance seemed so real - it was very well done.
Go see it. It's very eye opening.
