Jackie, Nate, Lau, and I went to slam poetry last night. It was one of the most inspiring, beautiful, funny, and amazing shows I have ever been to in my entire life. The way that the men performing, the poets, poured out their hearts and souls into the form of poetry was breathtaking. One of the poets, Derrick Brown, I related to the most. His words are beautiful - words never seemed so real.
I think I am going to write more. It really is a beautiful way to express oneself.
I decided to buy a few of the books of prose and poetry by Derrick and Buddy. I was going through the books last night with Nate and Jackie and this poem by Derrick I thought was particularly enlightening. I hope you think so too.
Grocery List by Derrick Brown
Be more forgiving.
Substitute "goodbye" for "I like your face."
Spend two nights a week not drinking to forget.
Listen to your body.
Listen to someone else's body.
Get limber.
Don't dog yourself to feel humble. It never works.
Lift others up onto your back until you are sore.
Write for yourself a movie that doesn't end.
Eat a churro slowly.
Kiss your mother on the cheek and don't miss.
Remember that now is barely now. It will soon be back then. Stop.
Finish everything.
Get milk.
I emphasized the third to last one because it's so true. Life is precious - every moment should be cherished for what it is.
