Monday, July 27, 2009

My Goal

http://graphics8.nytimes.com/images/2008/10/28/sports/29run2_600.JPG

On December 6, 2009, I hope to be a part of the madness in this picture. My goal for the coming months is to participate in my first ever marathon - the Sacramento International Marathon. Scary? I think so. I'm actually terrified of running a marathon. I remember after I completed my half-marathon in May 2007 I couldn't imagine completing another 13.1 miles. I was in so much pain after the first 13.1 miles. Yet, something inside me keeping burning, keeps telling me that I can do it. I think it would be an amazing accomplishment in my life. It is an accomplishment that I can tell my children I've done.

I've talked to many people who have completed marathons about what to expect and how I can train to my fullest potential. The number one thing everyone tells me? It hurts. It's crazy how athletes compete knowing the pain that is going to ensue upon them. But, I guess that's kinda the glory in being active - pain makes you feel alive, and pain makes you feel like you accomplished something great. I'm currently signed up for marathon training class this upcoming fall semester. I'm excited and terrified.

This experience will be good for me to go through. I know the glory and accomplishment I feel after I complete my marathon will be unbelievable and incredible. I just need to stick to the goal at hand. Luckily, I have the support of my friends and family and they help me make anything possible.

Wish me luck!!